|Find the best dive sites||
GPS coordinates not set ! Edit this page and use the map selector to add the dive site GPS location !
User rating (0)
This submarine wreck is not very well known. It is located 6/7 miles away from the Gironde estuary.
How? By boat
Distance Long boat time (> 30min)
Easy to find? Hard to find
Alternative name Tarantini submarine
Average depth 35.0 m / 114.8 ft
Max depth 40.0 m / 131.2 ft
Current Medium ( 1-2 knots)
Visibility Medium ( 5 - 10 m)
Dive site quality Good
Experience CMAS *** / Rescue
Bio interest Interesting
During the Battle of the Atlantic, Italian submarine "Capitano Tarantini" (Liuzzi class) returning from North Atlantic patrol is torpedoed and sunk by the British submarine "HMS Thunderbolt" (Triton class) on december the 15th, 1940 in the Bay of Biscay.
- Dimensions: Length 76.1 m Width 6.98 m Draught 4.55 m
- Displacement: Normal Load 1166 ton, Full Load 1484 ton
- Speed max in emersion (diesel engines): 18 knots
- Autonomy in emersion: 13000 miles at 8 knots
- Speed max in immersion (electric engines): 8 knots
- Autonomy in immersion: 108 miles at 4 knots
- Armament: 1 - 100/47, 4 - 13.2, 8 - 533 mm. torpedo launch tubes
- Crew: 57 pax
You can edit this page to correct errors or add new information. If you have any problems regarding this page, Send us feedback.