|Find the best dive sites||
Subic Bay is a bay forming part of Luzon Sea on the west coast of the island of Luzon in Zambales, Philippines, about 100 kilometers northwest of Manila Bay.
The bay is surrounded by the town of Subic and Olongapo City, both in the province of Zambales and the town of Morong in the province of Bataan in the east. Also in the bay are Grande Island, once home to Fort Wint, and was later turned into a rest and recreation island for the U.S. Seventh Fleet.
Shipwrecks of Subic Bay: The majority of the wrecks in Subic Bay are a result of either the Spanish-American War in 1898 or World War II, where a number of Japanese vessels were sunk by US aircraft.
* El Capitan was a freighter of nearly 3,00 tons just under 130 metres long. It crashed in Subic Bay where it rests on a sloping bottom.
* Hellship – Oryoku Maru On 15th December 1944, she had 1,619 American and British prisoners of war on board when she was sunk, under heavy bombardment by US fighters whilst on its way from Subic Bay to Japan. She was less than half a kilometre off the Alava Pier when attacked, taking 300 prisoners of war to her watery grave.
* Seian Maru During an air raid on Subic Bay, the 3,712 tone freighter, Seian Maru was bombed and sunk. Only 4 days after the bombing of the Oryoku Maru on the 19th December 1944.
* LST (Landing Ship, Tank) This is one of the larger LST that litter the floor of Subic Bay. She was scuttled in 1946 in the middle of Subic Bay between the southern tip of the runway and Grande Island.
* USS New York At the onset of the Japanese invasion of the Philippines this ship was in dry dock. It was deliberately scuttled in January 1944 by US forces.
* San Quentin During the Spanish – American war in 1898 the Spanish scuttled the San Quentin in the hope of blocking the passage between Grande Island and Chiquita Islands near the mouth of Subic Bay.
|Equipment||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so||Non so|
Want to correct or complete those additional data? Edit this page
This is an interactive map! Use controls to pan and zoom this map.
Your favorite dive site isn't listed ? Add a dive site
|Dive sites (6)||Quality||Avg depth||Max depth||Experience||Dive type|
|El Capitain||- / -||m||22 m||CMAS ** / AOW|
|LST||- / -||20 m||33 m||CMAS ** / AOW|
|North of Sampolac Point||- / -||20 m||20 m||All divers|
|Oryoku Maru||- / -||17 m||18 m||All divers|
|Seiun Maru||- / -||18 m||27 m||CMAS * / OW|
|USS New York||2 / -||18 m||27 m||CMAS * / OW|
No video available
|Nessun dive log|
You can edit this page to correct errors or add new information. If you have any problems regarding this page, Send us feedback.