|Find the best dive sites||
This is an interactive map! Use controls to pan and zoom this map.
Datum: WGS84 [ Help ]
Latitude: 35° 10.325' N
User rating (2)
Wannadive.net is not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained in this guide. You use this guide at your own risk.
Choose your format: please login first
Direction "Kalypso Cretan Village" near Plakias
How? By boat & from shore
Distance Instant access
Easy to find? Easy to find
Alternative name Kalypso Rock's Palace
Average depth 15 m / 49.2 ft
Max depth 100 m / 328.1 ft
Current Low ( < 1 knot)
Visibility Excellent ( > 30 m)
Dive site quality Great
Experience All divers
Bio interest Interesting
- Marine biology
- Children dive
- Night dive
- First dive
- Dive training
- Snorkeling / Free diving
- Boat trafic
Very easy access to the water trough a platform a few cm above sea level. Feeling of free falling between vertical walls and drop off.
Diving area from East to West,
- From surface to VERY deep : steep Walls partially covered in weeds or sponges and featuring cracks of various shapes and sizes.
This is the best area to hope for special encounters from the blue (large tuna, school of jacks, sting ray,...)
- The Canyon : 2 vertical walls dropping off on a sandy stripe from 20m to 60m. Remains of a fishing boat lay there nearby an easy and beautiful swimthrough. Since spring 2014 also the wreck of a mini van.
- The Kalypso Bay, legendary pirates' hideaway with it's hundreds of comfortable living places for small fish and other creatures. Bottom is made of rocks and boulders on a gentle slope until 20m. The sheltered configuration allows diving almost any day between May and November.
We enter the bay mainly trough a tiny "fjord" (0-3m depth) which is obviously a nursery for many species and most probably the richest area animals-wise. So many life forms that the very first or last minutes of any given dive might provide a pleasant surprise.
- Just around the west corner of the bay is the Swimtroughs Area : large boulders are shaping a few short tunnels and caves at a maximum depth of 25m. Wide enough and easy to swim trough, those are refuges for lobsters, groupers, breams,... Shallower than those big rocks formations is a Plateau fully covered with algea in which sea urchins, shells, crabs, moray eels and octopuses are hiding. Experienced divers will get to explore the Walls facing the deep blue where it is not rare to spot dentex hunting smaller fish.
Under our fins, the first visible sandy ledges at 40m...
- This area can be visited also from our 'secondary' entry/exit place which is located on the back of the swimming pool (that exit practicable only at calm sea).
By Jerome_Smeets , 03-02-2011
Best dive site in Crete ? - So far the Cretan dive site I enjoy the most : seascape is spectacular : vertical walls, swim-trough's, canyons, cracks, great visibility (up to 40m).
Usually no big fish, if you're lucky turtle, barracudas but very rich in smaller sealife.
Best Nightdives I've had : explosion of activity. (better than in the Red Sea I find)
Access/exit also from behind the hotel swimming pool, giving a lot of different possible routes.
Few remains of an old old wreck's cargo.
You can edit this page to correct errors or add new information. If you have any problems regarding this page, Send us feedback.